Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:01:26 -0500 (EST)

I believe you're looking for shared writable mmap support, which requires a very recent (maybe) or painfully-patched FUSE; it's not really up to GlusterFS (I think it will probably just work, if your FUSE is somehow able to support it).

I tried to patch my FUSE and gave up (the patches I found didn't work and caused crashes). I was looking because apt-get uses shared writable mmap. I found that someone had posted a workaround whereby you'd place the files requiring shared writable mmap in a tmpfs filesystem; I tried that, and it worked fine. For apt-get, it wasn't a big deal, as the mmapped files are just caches; I don't know if the rpm files are something that would need to be permanent, in which case you'd need to copy the files in and out of the tmpfs to keep them across reboots.

So, if you can't get shared writable mmap to work, try the workaround with tmpfs or another filesystem (perhaps even an NFS mount of a GlusterFS directory).

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing
UF Physics