Re: [Gluster-devel] general performance translator recommendations

From: Brent A Nelson
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] general performance translator recommendations
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:20:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Raghavendra G wrote:

Hi Brent,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Brent A Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Vikas Gorur wrote:

 As for io-threads above/below unify, there is not much to be gained by
using io-threads on the client side, since there are no slow
operations on the client side (just a straight code path from the
application to the server). Using it on the server makes sense because
it lets GlusterFS do other useful work while one thread is waiting for
a read/write from/to the underlying filesystem finishes.

I found io-threads on the client to be a major gain.  When the client is
very busy with io tasks, io-threads seems to eliminate latency in metadata
operations (e.g., ls doesn't hang for ages).  It made the client feel much
more responsive.

Yes. But with 2.0, Non-blocking I/O is introduced. Hence the client thread
will not be blocked on I/O operations.

My testing was with 1.4 RCs; it was still of substantial benefit to metadata operation latency, when the client is busy with multiple concurrent streaming I/O tasks.

Thanks,

Brent