[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS v2.0.0rc1 Release

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS v2.0.0rc1 Release
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:31:40 -0800

GlusterFS v2.0.0rc1 Announcement

We are happy to announce the first RC release of GlusterFS v2.0. This is a major improvement towards small-file-performance and scalability. Unify has a better scalable alternative called "Distribute", an elastic hash based algorithm. AFR has been renamed to "Replicate" for simplicity. v2.0 is backward compatible with v1.x disk layout. We are eagerly waiting to hear feedback from the community before we call it a stable v2.0.0 release. Download GlusterFS v2.0.0rc1 from http://www.gluster.org/download.php

 * New to this release: distribute - elastic hash based scheduling for linear
scalability
 * storage/bdb - distributed BerkeleyDB based storage backend for very small
files
 * binary protocol - bit level protocol headers (CPU and network effecient)
 * mod_glusterfs - GlusterFS Apache / Lighttpd module for web embeddable storage
 * Non-blocking I/O - highly responsive socket I/O
 * enhanced replicate - atomic writes to handle power-loss, split-brains
 * HA - high availability translator
 * NUFA - Non-Uniform-File-Access translator for cloud/HPC storage
 * root squash - NFS root squashing and uid/gid mapping

Happy Hacking!
--
GlusterFS Team