Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Process Growing

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Process Growing
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:06:50 +0000

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:25:59 +0530, Anand Avati <address@hidden>
wrote:
>> Is there a parameter to limit this cache? And how does this compare to
>> the normal page cache on the underlying FS?
>
> It is not possible to limit this cache as it is decided by the dcache
> pruning algorithm in the linux kernel vm. You can however force a
> forget of all the build cache by doing an 'echo 3 >
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'

Interesting, I thought the drop_caches didn't include the caches that
reflect in the process size itself. So the 300MB of the resident size of
glusterfs gets included? I'll have to try this. So, running

# updatedb

and/or

# ls -laR /

should make it go up to maximum size and not grow much further?

>> The thing that seems particularly odd is that although both the root and
>> the /home glusterfs daemons seem to grow over time, the growth of the
>> root
>> one seems to be vastly greater. The rootfs only contains about 1.2GB of
>> data, but I have seen it's daemon process get to nearly 300MB. The /home
>> FS
>> contains several hundred gigabytes of data, but I haven't seen it grow
>> more than about 60MB. Since the /home FS gets a lot more r/w access, it
>> seems to be something specific to the rootfs usage that causes the
>> process
>> bloat. Perhaps something like shared libraries (all of which are on the
>> rootfs)? Maybe some kind of a leak in mmap() related code?
>
> Memory usage of GlusterFS is largely decided by the dcache, which is a
> reflection of how many files/directories are present in your volume
> (and not related to the data size).

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Gordan