RE: [Gluster-devel] Glusterfs HA & AFR

From: Chris Mavin
Subject: RE: [Gluster-devel] Glusterfs HA & AFR
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:09:35 +0000

Thank you for the clarification Daniel.

That is what I suspected.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Maher [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: 18 February 2009 09:41
To: Chris Mavin
Cc: address@hidden

Chris Mavin wrote:

> Can someone clarify the following for me.
>
> I'm using Glusterfs RC 2.
>
> If I am using the HA translator rather than AFR, Does this expect to be
> using a shared storage accessible from both servers?
>
> Put another way, is the HA translator simply a way of providing High
> availability for a SAN?
>
> When I test it using 2 servers the active server is written to fine but
> the backup server simply gets a 0 byte file written to it.

HA is, afaik, just a way to switch communications between target
machines - it does not itself have any sort of replication features, nor
does it have the ability to speak to multiple targets simultaneously.

Given three machines :
- ClientA
- ServerA
- ServerB

If ClientA is configured to communicate to ServerA & ServerB via HA, it
will pick one (ServerA, for example), and speak to it exclusively until
such a time as ServerA stops working - whereupon it will communicate
with ServerB.

Nowhere in that scenario is data replicated or copied between ServerA
and ServerB.  For this, you'd either need to set up server-side AFR
between ServerA and ServerB (and keep HA on ClientA), or set up
client-sde AFR on ClientA (and ditch HA altogether).

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>