Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 04:07:13 +1000

Hi Gordan,

> There is an argument somewhere in there about deploying things that
> aren't production ready at time of deployment. But that's a different
> story.

GlusterFS was represented as being stable, with its 1.x version number and
website spiel. Before the original deployment, I tested extensively and
exhaustively on test platforms identical to my production system without
issue. (I did my due care and diligence.)

However, as GlusterFS was 'improved', backwards-incompatible and unstable
changes crept in. Once the stability issues were noticeable (and seemingly
untractable in my situation), it was too late to go back to a stable version
without manually migrating hundreds of gigabytes of client data.

Given how lengthy and disruptive a task that would have proven to the client
base, it was deemed best to hope that GlusterFS would improve in the long
run.

So I made the system as stable as possible, and scheduled potential
crash-causing behaviour (necessary from a business perspective) to times when
it would least disrupt clients.

I have also made repeated efforts to improve the software myself, as you can
see in the archives. The resulting patches of numerous potential and actual
issues were basically ignored, because the devs seem to dislike my code just
on the grounds of it containing code comments. (Figure that one out.)

After a few months of trying to maintain my patches relative to the current
development, I gave up. It was simply too much effort for too little reward,
and there were money-making tasks at greater priorities expected from me.

> It is the only feature of it that I am looking into using, too, but it
> is plausible that somebody with a large distributed server farm focused
> on performance rather than redundancy may see it differently.

The story of DHT is not much better than AFR's, if you read through the
archives.

> There's a strong argument there for implementing syslog based logging.
> How do you do log rotation, BTW? Do you have to issue a HUP? Or restart
> the glusterfsd process? As I said, I have seen issues with restarting
> server processes in different orders. Sometimes things will lock up and
> the glusterfsd process has to be killed and restarted. It seems to work
> when servers come up in priority order, but other orderings can be hit
> and miss.

I have tried various logrotate and GlusterFS server restart methods for the
log issue. This was not effective at stopping the issue - especially since it
apparently happens at random during high I/O load.

> Why do you namespaces for straight AFR?

This is a hangover from 1.3. It used to be mandatory back then. (I'm frankly
not too game to experiment using GlusterFS without it, given how hard it
would be to go back afterwards.)

> Sounds like a lot of effort and micro-downtime compared to a migration
> to something else. Have you explored other options like PeerFS, GFS and
> SeznamFS? Or NFS exports with failover rather than Gluster clients, with
> Gluster only server-to-server?

These options are not production ready (as I believe has been pointed out
already to the list) for what I need; or in the case of NFS, defeating the
point of redundancy in the first place. (Also, GFS is also not compatible
with the kernel patchset I need to use.)

I have tried AFR on the server side and the client side. Both display similar
issues.

An older version of GlusterFS - as buggy as it is for me - is unfortunately
still the best option.

(That doesn't mean I can't complain about the lack of progress towards
stability and reliability, though :)

> OK, I haven't actually checked. A "make test" feature listing all bugs
> by bugzilla ID as it goes through the testing process would go a long
> way toward providing some quality reassurance.

Agreed. We have both asked for this before, if I recall correctly.

> One of the problems is that some tests in this case are impossible to
> carry out without having multiple nodes up and running, as a number of
> bugs have been arising in cases where nodes join/leave or cause race
> conditions. It would require a distributed test harness which would be
> difficult to implement so that they run on any client that builds the
> binaries. Just because the test harness doesn't ship with the sources
> doesn't mean it doesn't exist on a test rig the developers use

Okay, so what about the volume of test cases that can be tested without a
distributed test harness? I don't see any sign of testing mechanisms for
that.

And wouldn't it be prudent anyway - giving how often the GlusterFS devs do not
have access to the platform with the reported problem - to provide this
harness so that people can generate the appropriate test results the devs
need for themselves? (Giving a complete stranger from overseas root access is
a legal minefield to those who have to work with data held in-confidence.)

It really makes me wonder about the existence of said testing tools.

> As I explained before, you can't sensibly come up with QA tests for
> timing based issues and race conditions, because those will always be
> heisenbuggy to some extent. I'm not saying such tests should exist, and
> at least perform some hammering for extended periods that was known to
> trigger the known issues, but that only counts statistically, it won't
> provide conclusive evidence of absence of the bug.

I'm well aware of the maxims concerning proving the absence of bugs with
testing. (I used to teach formal methods subjects at Uni.)

However, long running tests under real-world load on multiple platforms, care
with locking protocols, different input data lengths, use of code quality
testing tools, requests at random intervals, and various other defensive
programming techniques in general will go a long way towards catching the
majority of cases that users will experience in regular (or even certain
irregular) circumstances.

It's been my impression, though, that the relevant bugs are not heisenbugs or
race conditions.

(I'm judging that on the speed of the follow up patch, by the way - race
conditions notoriously can take a long time to track down.)

Geoff.