Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:19:01 +1000

Hi Shehjar,

> I think the QA folks have done some really good work in stabilizing
> GlusterFS over the last year or so. The result is there to see in the
> 2.0.X releases.

You call allowing two critical data corruption bugs through to the final
public release in two releases in a row 'good work'?

> Still, I understand your problems are more important to you than the
> problems being faced by other users, I'd so appreciate if you'd give our
> bugzilla-based setup a chance at handling this bug. Or, let me
> know if you've already filed a report.

I take issue with this.

If you've been reading what I've been posting, I reported my issue quite some
time ago directly to the developers, here in this list and in all the places
that existed at the time for posting such bug reports.

I've posted logs. I've posted configurations. I've tried to patch it (and a
number of other issues which would no doubt affect others) myself. I've had
my patches ignored because your team didn't like the presence of any comments
in the code.

(Comments that are there so that automated code quality checking tools - which
you don't use, apparently - don't keep flagging the same issues over and over
again. For when you might want to check for the presence of any newly
introduced issues later, as you would in a real QA process.)

Somehow, I don't think a new bugtracker is going to make a difference to the
general indifference I've been shown with regards to this issue.

> > When will this even show up on the roadmap?
>
> The QA team is already working on just such a testing and
> regression framework.

Your QA process document - written nearly a year ago - claims that you're
already using these sorts of frameworks. So it was just spin, after all - no
such framework really exists yet.

So how much of the documentation on the wiki actually reflects reality??

I'm appalled. This is no way to run an open source project - commercial
entanglements or not.

If you are going to develop an open source product to actually meet your
stated goals of providing a stable and reliable storage system, you need to
follow the examples of the other successful projects that have come before
you, and do at least the following two things.

One is to listen to your community - paying and non-paying - and accept help
and advice from the community when it's offered. Spend a little effort
getting offered patches into the shape that's acceptable to you, instead of
just ignoring them. We've taken the time (at our expense) to help improve the
product that you're selling commercial support for - it's really the least
you can do, since you're getting (more or less) expert help for free.

The second is not to lie to, mislead, or conceal information from your
community. If you post documents stating that you have a QA process that
involves unit tests, then those tests should exist. Better still - they
should be publicly available, so the community can use them for their own
development of new features or bug fixes.

If you can't release them for reasons like (say) the use of proprietary
software - come out and say so. The worse thing you could do is say you have
these QA processes, then turn around after nearly a year and a series of
extremely critical bugs and admit (as you've just admitted) that you don't.

When you're developing a system that people are entrusting with gigabytes,
terabytes, or even petabytes of their precious data, your users need to feel
that they can trust the developers designing that software to take all due
care.

If you get caught out lying about exactly what level of quality control you're
actually taking (and these things will out with open source projects), people
will lose trust in you and your project. Which surely can't be good for the
bottom line of your commercial arm.

I know I've certainly lost a lot of trust in GlusterFS through all this.

Geoff.