Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 01:20:35 +1000

Hi Anand,
   Thank you for your explanation. I appreciate the circumstances you're in -
I'm in a not-too-dissimilar environment myself.

   If you don't mind taking some more advice - do you mind taking down your
current QA process document? It does not seem to be an accurate
representation of your QA process at all.

   Alternatively, you could document what you really do, and then try to
improve on it - a technique common to many quality management methodologies.
If that doesn't look so good at first - well, you don't have to publish it
openly. You're running an open source project, people are prepared for things
to be a bit rough and ready. Just don't make representations that it's
otherwise. (Major version numbers and marketing spiel are what I'm talking
about here.)

   Misleading people - intentionally or otherwise - kills community support
and commercial trust in your product fast. Open source projects in particular
need to be more open than purely commercial efforts, because not only do you
lose users, you lose current and potential developers when this happens.

   On the code front - can you please start using code comments? It's really
hard to follow the purpose of some parts of the code otherwise, and that
makes it difficult for those in the community to help you fix problems or
provide new functionality. After all, isn't getting the community to help
write and debug the software part of the cost effectiveness of the open
source development technique?

   (I understand that there may be language issues at stake here. But this is
the era of automatic translation, after all - hackers like me will get along
okay so long as we can get the gist :)

   Please don't be afraid to use code quality analysis tools, even if they do
insert some less-than-attractive comments. Tools like RATS and FlawFinder are
free, they catch a lot of potential and actual stability and security issues,
and can be partially automated as part of wider testing frameworks.

   GlusterFS should be eligible to sign up to use Coverity's scan for free.
It's a highly recommended static analysis tool, and if you make use of the
results, there are some quite dramatic gains in stability and reliability to
be made.

   Also having a general look over the code every now and then will do wonders
for these aspects as well - look at the security record of OpenBSD to see how
effective code audits can be.

   On the testing framework front - I know how hard it is to start writing
unit and regression tests for a project already under way. The answer I've
found to this is to get developers writing tests for the new functionality
they write, as they write it. (Leaving it to later - say, for the QA team to
do - makes this process a lot more difficult, as I've found.) This documents
in live code how the system should work, and if run whenever changes to that
functionality are made, detects breakages fast.

   When the QA team or the community uncovers a bug, get the QA team to write
a test case covering that issue, documenting (again in live code) what the
correct behaviour should be. Between these two activities, the coverage of
the testing framework will improve in leaps and bounds.

   Over time, you'll develop a full regression testing suite, which, if run
before major releases (if not before each repository commit), will save a lot
of time and embarrassment when the occasional bug pops up to affect older
features negatively or cause known bugs to resurface.

   Thank you for listening to me, and I hope this advice proves useful to you.

Geoff.