Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness -

From: Mickey Mazarick
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:38:43 -0400

Geoff,
Thanks I am well versed in unit testing but probably disagree on level of use in a development cycle. Instead of writing a long email back about testing theory, nondeterministic problems, highly connected dependent systems blah blah I'll just say that most of the problems that have plagued me have been because of interactions between translators, kernel mods etc which unit testing doesn't really approach.

Since I'm running my setup as a storage farm it just doesn't matter to me if there's a memory leak of if a server daemon crashes, I have cron jobs that restart it and I barely take notice. True a regression testing would get rid of the memory leak you hate but if they have to start from the ground up I would rather encourage the dev team to add hotadd upgrade and hotadd features. These things would keep my cluster going even if there were catastrophic problems.

What I'm saying is that a good top down testing system is something we can discuss here, spec out and perhaps create independently of the development team. I think what most people want is a more stable product and I think a top down approach will get it there faster than trying to implement a given UT system from the bottom up. It will defiantly answer the question "should I upgrade to this release?"

You mentioned that you had outlines some integration and function tests previously, perhaps you could paste some into this thread so that we could expand on them.

Thanks!
-Mickey Mazarick

Geoff Kassel wrote:
Hi Mickey,
Just so that we're all on the same page here - a regression test suite at its most basic just has to include test cases (i.e. a set of inputs) that can trigger a previously known fault in the code if that fault is present. (i.e it can see if the code has 'regressed' into a condition where a fault is present.)

What it's also taken to mean (and typically includes) is a set of tests cases covering corner cases and normal modes of operation, as expressed in a set of inputs to code paired with a set of expected outputs that may or may not include error messages.

Test cases aimed at particular levels of the code have specific terminology associated with those levels. At the lowest level, the method level, they're called unit tests. At the module/API level - integration tests. At the system/user interface level - system aka function aka functional aka functionality tests.

When new functionality is introduced or a bug is patched, the regression test suite (which in the case of unit tests is typically fully automated) is run to see whether the expected behaviour occurs, and none of the old faults recur.

A lot of the tests you've described fall into the category of function tests - and from my background in automated testing, I know we need a bit more than that to get the stability and reliability results we want. (Simply because you cannot test every corner case within a project the size and complexity of GlusterFS reliably from the command line.)

Basically, what GlusterFS needs is a fairly even coverage of test cases at all the levels I've just mentioned.

What I want to see particularly - and what the devs stated nearly a year ago was already in existence - is unit tests. Particularly the kind that can be run automatically.

This is so that developers (inside the GlusterFS team or otherwise) can hack on a piece of code to fix a bug or implement new functionality, then run the unit tests to see that they (mostly likely) haven't caused a regression with their new code.

(It's somewhat difficult for outsiders to write unit and integration tests, because typically only the original developers have the in-depth knowledge of the expected behaviour of the code in the low level detail required.)

Perhaps developed in parallel should be integration and function tests. Tests like these (I've outlined elsewhere specifically what kind) would have quite likely picked up the data corruption bugs before they made their way into the first 2.0.x releases.

(Pretty much anyone familiar with the goal of the project can write function tests, documenting in live code their expectations for how the system should work.)

Long running stability and load tests like you've proposed are also kinds of function tests, but without the narrowly defined inputs and outputs of specific test cases. They're basically the equivalent of mine shaft canaries - they signal the presence of race conditions, memory leaks, design flaws, and other subtle issues, but often without specifics as to what 'killed' the canary. Once the cause is found though, a new, more specific test case can be added at the appropriate level.

(Useful, yes, but mostly as a starting point for more intensive QA efforts.)

The POSIX compliance tests you mentioned are more traditional function level tests - but I think the GlusterFS devs have wandered a little away from full POSIX compliance on some points, so these tests may not be 100% relevant.

(This is not necessarily a bad thing - the POSIX standard is apparently ambiguous at times, and there is some wider community feeling that improvements to the standard are overdue. And I'm not sure the POSIX standard was ever written with massively scalable, plugable, distributed file systems in mind, either :)

I hope my extremely long winded rant here :) has explained adequately what I feel GlusterFS needs to have in a regression testing system.

Geoff.