Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness -

From: Geoff Kassel
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 08:30:01 +1000

Hi Mickey,

> Wow, you really hit my biggest fear, the one thing I try to test for...
> data corruption.

Yep, it's mine too. Hence all this ranting and raving of mine :)

> I'm doing a simplified version of the first set of testing you mentioned

Sounds good :)

> I would add a few but I haven't had the time to google how to do the
> following without writing a C prog:
> check flock()
> check mmap writing

Perl and Python can do these, but I'd rather not script in Perl if I can
possibly avoid it. (Python's much nicer :)

>  I'm thinking a simple collection of bash or perl scripts would work for
> a first pass at this. Do you have any suggestions on a good colab site
> for scripting?  If we came up with a basic format we could create and
> then mix and match them as we saw fit. We just need them all to be
> called with the same args, then have a master run that executes all of
> them in a tests dir.

The devs claim to have an unpublished, incomplete framework underway. I've
asked for this to be published - no matter how incomplete it may be.

Maybe we could take some cues from that, once we get a look at it?

(After all, we want the devs to ultimately use what we produce. We should use
the same underlying tools.)

As for a collaboration place - there's the GlusterFS traditional location for
random code dumps - http://glusterfs.pastebin.com

> It would also be nice if there was a sort of
> standard output both for giving to devels as well as rolling up nicely
> if we get 1E3 of these things.

Agreed. I've been using PyUnit a lot lately (I've become more of a Python
programmer than a C programmer these days) so anything that aggregates test
suites and produces results in a similar manner wins big according to me.

Geoff.