Re: [Gluster-devel] Single storage: 80%-read /20%-write

From: Brian Hirt
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Single storage: 80%-read /20%-write
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:49:00 -0600

WBR,

We did some load testing for our setup, and the glusterfs configuration we had, (four nodes distribute/replicate) couldn't handle it. We didn't spend too much time trying to optimize the setup because we aren't planning on using glusterfs at this time because of it's inability to handle writes reliably when nodes are down/restarted. If 20% of your IO operations are writes, you will almost certainly get file corruption/split brain the first time you reboot one of your servers for maintenance.

I would recommend waiting on the sidelines until 2.1 comes out. Release 2.1 is when the dev's say they are implementing replication of open files. This fix should hopefully solve a lot of problems people are having. Oddly enough, this change isn't listed on the roadmap. We will be re-evaluating glusterfs at that point and hope that it will be a more viable solution at that time.

If you can set up your system in a read only mode where the only time a file is ever opened for writing is when it is being copied to cluster, then glusterfs might be something that is ready for you now.

Regards,
Brian