Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 3.0pre1 (Whats in 3.0)

From: Anand Babu Periasamy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] GlusterFS 3.0pre1 (Whats in 3.0)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:18:19 -0800

Gordan Bobic wrote:
It would appear that this requires fuse-devel to build, at least as an RPM. My understanding was that 3.0 doesn't require fuse libraries and talks directly to the kernel module. Is that an error in my understanding or an error in the spec file for building the RPMs?

Thanks.

Gordan

Hi Gordan, you are correct. GlusterFS 3.0 does not require fuse library. It
directly talks
to fuse kernel module. Csaba Henk (fuse maintainer) implemented this
functionality.
He is part of GlusterFS team, dedicated to enhancing fuse kernel module. This
approach
makes installation relatively easier and improves performance as well.

Key highlights of 3.0 are
* Background self-healing: Applications won't be blocked any more during
healing operation.
* Checksum based healing: Rsync like healing mechanism to heal only the inconsistent blocks within a file. * Healing on the fly: Files can be healed even when the files are open and application is performing active I/O. * Generation numbers: Self-healing can now reliably handle tricky corner cases (such as "rm -rf" bug).

All of the above are very useful in a virtualization and database environment,
where files
are very large and applications need to run non-stop.

--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31