Re: [Gluster-devel] CPU usage in AFR

From: Vikas Gorur
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] CPU usage in AFR
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:18:35 +0530

Gordan Bobic wrote:
Hi,

I'm noticing something that could be considered weird. I have a 3-node rootfs-on-gluster cluster, and I'm doing a big yum update on one of the nodes. On that node and one of the other nodes, glusterfsd is using about 10-15% CPU. But on the 3rd node, glusterfs is using < 0.3% CPU.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the way locking backup and fail-over is implemented (IIRC there is a master and a backup lock/state server, rather than replicating this information to all the servers). Can anyone hazard a guess and confirm or deny the possible cause of this discrepancy?
Hm, this is indeed a little strange. The first subvolume is used as the lock
server, so that could possibly explain why one of the servers have higher CPU usage. However, this doesn't explain why *two* of the servers have high CPU usage.

Are you sure it is not the case that the *client* on one node (I'm assuming
all your three nodes act as servers and clients) and the server on another node
are using CPU?

Vikas