Re: [Gluster-devel] Faster hashing for DHT

From: Joe Landman
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Faster hashing for DHT
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:45:24 -0500

Jeff Darcy wrote:
On 01/05/2010 07:56 PM, Martin Fick wrote:
Hmm, if it were collision resistant, wouldn't that mean that you would need one
server for each file you want to store?  I suspect you want many collisions,
just a good even distribution of those collisions,

"Collision resistance" in this context usually refers to avoidance of
*spurious* collisions - i.e. those above the level that would occur with
an ideal distribution - so "even distribution" is a good summary of its
practical effect.

Hmmm ... I have an interest in trying out alternative hashing schemes, specifically ones that give a good distribution over large numbers of bricks.

Mebbe I'll look at that code if I get the chance ...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO