[Gluster-devel] Another Data Corruption Report

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Another Data Corruption Report
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:30:47 +0000

I've just observed another case of corruption similar to what I reported a while back with .viminfo files getting corrupted (in that case, by somehow being clobbered by a shared library fragment from what I could tell).

This time, however, it was much more sinister, although probably the same failure mode. I have just seen a file in a CVS repository resiting on GlusterFS be replaced - by another file in the same directory in the same CVS repository! One of my header files somehow got replaced by the Makefile in the same directory. Reviewing "cvs log" indicates that the entire file on the CVS side was clobbered by the Makefile - there is no indication (e.g. from cvs log) that it was accidentally copied over and committed in.

I'm sure I don't have to stress just how mind bogglingly dangerous (as in data corruption/loss dangerous) this is.

Observed with 2.0.9, the volume is AFR.

Not sure if it is in any way relevant to this particular bug report, but whenever I do cvs update on the glfs-backed repository, I get this sort of thing in the glfs log:

[2010-01-15 18:05:11] E [posix.c:3156:do_xattrop] home-store: getxattr failed on /cvs/Project/C/#cvs.lock while doing xattrop: No such file or directory

Gordan