Re: [Gluster-devel] I/O fair share to avoid I/O bottlenecks on small cls

From: gordan
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] I/O fair share to avoid I/O bottlenecks on small clsuters
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:35:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Ran wrote:

Hi ,
I recently posted an issue regarding a situation that happen when
say 1 virtual machine images takes down the entire server IO
then the entire storage become slow in such way that noting work
emails , web etc...
gluster gays posted that virtual machine is a main goal of the storage
and that they probebly implement a fair share IO options to avoid this cases .

Can anyone tell me what are the plans for this , it apear to me that
this is 1 of the most important issues on such storage seens it is not
possible to run more then a few virtual machins in parallel .

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, the question is rather non-sensical. The whole point of virtualization is that you can ration the resources between VMs. It is the duty of the hypervisor to implement the resource restrictions and fair resource sharing. The VM _should_ utilize all the resources that the hypervisor lets it.

In other words, if you have a VM that is consuming all the resources of the server, that means you either have a lame hypervisor or that you haven't configured it properly. A VM should _NOT_ be expected to self-censor, and certainly not on application level.

Gordan

P.S.
I'm not on the users list, so can't forward this there, feel free to bounce your reply there with comments in it, though.