[Gluster-devel] Feedback - Problem with the locks feature

From: Samuel Hassine
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Feedback - Problem with the locks feature
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:44:34 +0100

Hi all,

Just a little feedback about a special using of GlusterFS.

We are hosting about 15 000 websites on an infrastructure containing a
big files server. We just change our files sharing system from NFS to
GlusterFS. So we are using a simple distributed GlusterFS for the
websites files. We are alo using a second GlusterFSd instance (on an
alternate port) in order to export a special partition for PHP sessions.

On the first partition, it seems to work very well for reading and
writing. But on the second one, with a "classic" server configuration
(posix vol, locks vol, performance vol and server vol), the file system
freezes immediatly. After some tests, we found that it works fine
without the locks volume.

But after some other tests on the first GlusterFS, we discover that the
same problem could occured with a script that writes many little files
on the FS. It is the same problem with the last version of ezpublish,
the cache generation failed).

Do you think it could be fixed in the next versions or just bypassing
the locks translator is a good solution?

Thanks for your answers.
Sam