Re: [Gluster-devel] Best performance glusterfs v. 3.0.0 and samba

From: Roland Fischer
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Best performance glusterfs v. 3.0.0 and samba
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:27:27 +0100

Hi Harshavardhana,

thank you for your reply. i will use the performance options for samba.

to your questions:

 volume web-data-replicate
    type cluster/replicate
    subvolumes gfs-01-01 gfs-01-02
 end-volume

 volume readahead
  type performance/read-ahead
  option page-count 16              # cache per file  = (page-count x
 page-size)
  subvolumes web-data-replicate
 end-volume

what is the client side and server side TOTAL ram ?. How many servers and
clients do you have?.  Coz having read-ahead count on 16 is no good for an
ethernet  link, you might be choking up the bandwidth unnecessarily.

we have 2 physikal xen server and 2 physikal gfs-server (one gfsserver with
48TB space - 24 x 2TB SATAII)
we use on xenserver 14 domUs
alle domUs are located on glusterfs. And now we try to share in domU1 another
gfs-lun (gfs-partition) via samba

each of the physikal xen server have 2x Quadcore with 12GB ram
each of the physikal glusterfs server have 2x Quardcore (hyperthreading) with
12GB ram

xen - domU1 has 1 CPU and 2GB ram and shares another gfs-lun via samba

 Even with this we would need to know the backend disk performance with
 o-direct to properly analyse the cost of using buffering on server side to
 get better performance out of the system.

24 x 2TB - Western Digital WD RE4 - GP with 64MB Cache

Raid Controller = Areca - ARC-1280

Controller Name         ARC-1280
Serial Number   Y907CAAXAR800316
Main Processor  800MHz IOP341 C1
CPU ICache Size         32KBytes
CPU DCache Size         32KBytes/Write Back
CPU SCache Size         512KBytes/Write Back
System Memory   256MB/533MHz/ECC

Thank you
regards
Roland