Re: [Gluster-devel] Any feedback on performance when migrating from 1gig

From: Nathan Stratton
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Any feedback on performance when migrating from 1gige to 10gbps infiniband?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:11:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Gordan Bobic wrote:

Have you done testing with 1Gb networking? Do your storage boxes have enough CPU resource to handle a 10x increase in bandwidth? What about disk I/O? You'll need some pretty fat storage nodes to justify going to 10Gb.

Actually, we have picked up all our 10 gig infiniband gear on ebay for an avg of $1K for a 24 port switch, $35 for dual port cards, and $20 for cables. At that rate it has been easy to justify 10 gig infiniband. The latency improvements are significant.

<>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com