Re: [Gluster-devel] lookup caching

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] lookup caching
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:49:09 +0200

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:41:36 +0100
Gordan Bobic <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02/04/2010 12:32, Olivier Le Cam wrote:
>
> > Following to a recent talk on the IRC channel, it came to my mind that
> > caching lookups could (in this particular situation) greatly improve the
> > performances.
>
> Maybe some of the devs can explain whether this is plausible, but I
> somewhat doubt it. You would lose the integrity guarantees.

If you're talking of data integrity here I doubt that it is there at all.
Yesterday I checked a configuration with 2.0.9 replication and 3 clients with
iocache. I found out that if I edit an ascii file on one client and save it
back being the same size as before, another client still sees the old file
content. I checked the servers and found that they all contained the correct
new file version. So the data integrity is broken anyway when using iocache on
clients
.
> Gordan

Stephan