Re: [Gluster-devel] lookup caching

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] lookup caching
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:15:48 +0100

On 02/04/2010 14:49, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

Following to a recent talk on the IRC channel, it came to my mind that
caching lookups could (in this particular situation) greatly improve the
performances.

Maybe some of the devs can explain whether this is plausible, but I
somewhat doubt it. You would lose the integrity guarantees.

If you're talking of data integrity here I doubt that it is there at all.
Yesterday I checked a configuration with 2.0.9 replication and 3 clients with
iocache. I found out that if I edit an ascii file on one client and save it
back being the same size as before, another client still sees the old file
content. I checked the servers and found that they all contained the correct
new file version. So the data integrity is broken anyway when using iocache on
clients

That is quite worrying.

Gordan