Re: [Gluster-devel] Async replication

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Async replication
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 18:40:19 +0100

anthony garnier wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to know if gluster developpers intend to develop a module option for Asynchronous replication ?

Let me know if you got some informations.

I think you may be trying to use the wrong tool for the job here. If you really want asynchronous replication (no concurrent access arbitration, locking, and other things that wouldn't work asynchronously), then perhaps lsyncd (http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/) would be a better tool for the job (make sure you use the svn trunk version, it has a number of important bug fixes in it).

GlusterFS is a great _cluster_ file system with rather unique benefits, but if you really want to play _that_ fast and loose, and throw away the consistency-ensuring constraints (and since you want async replication, it sounds like you do), you can cut a few more corners to gain a lot of extra performance. Just make sure you are aware of the limitations and consequences of this - concurrent file writes _will_ lead to race conditions which will trash your data.

Gordan