[Gluster-devel] Announcing GlusterFS v3.1 alpha

From: Vijay Bellur
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Announcing GlusterFS v3.1 alpha
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:20:59 +0530

Hello Developer Community,

We're pleased to announce the alpha release for GlusterFS v3.1. This alpha release has many improvements over the pre-alpha release which was made available a month ago.

This release extends the dynamic volume management capabilities. Dynamic volume management allows you to add, remove, and migrate storage servers with no downtime or machine restarts. The Gluster native NFS implementation (which many of you may have already seen) is also included in the build. Again, We are particularly interested in use cases with virtual server and cloud environments.

How can you help?

We encourage developers to participate in testing, report bugs, send patches and give feedback on functionality. Do put Gluster to test and expect it to crash :) albeit less frequent now :-) With that in mind, please DO NOT use alpha in a production environment. This is intended for QA testing purposes only, not all bugs are fixed, and the usual caveats apply. We value your opinion and would love to hear your feedback, good or bad, to ensure the highest quality product.

Please send your feedback to  address@hidden

To access the QA code please visit: http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/qa-releases/3.1/GlusterFS/

Early documentation to get you started can be found here: http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1alpha

Release Notes for GlusterFS v3.1alpha can be found at: http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/qa-releases/3.1/GlusterFS/GlusterFS_3.1Alpha_release_notes_draft.pdf