Re: [Gluster-devel] is gluster tested against ARM machines ?

From: Hraban Luyat
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] is gluster tested against ARM machines ?
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:15:47 +0200

Hello Yann,

In fact, yes, it has been tested: I tried to install it on a QNAP
TS-110 about a year ago. It was a small disaster, that eventually led
me to start working on my own distributed file system. Not to
discredit GlusterFS: it just simply is not suited for this
architecture, apparently. At least when I tried, it was not. I think
it was best illustrated by a private e-mail from one of the devs to my
bugreports and patches for this arch: "We are curious to know the
purpose of using glusterfs - a clustered filesystem - on an embedded
systems platform."

To be honest: I consider this a good thing. GlusterFS sounds like it
is doing a very good job in the area it was designed for: high
performance computer clusters (right?). The price I have to pay for
this dedication (namely: not being able to use GlusterFS myself) is
one that I have to bear: the world is better off this way, I would
guess.

Anyway. My point is just: I abandoned GlusterFS for ARM and started
development of my own, much more general purpose, "distributed FS",
with compatibility as a higher requirement than cluster performance,
orthogonal to GlusterFS instead of competing with it (why would I,
anyway).

I hope this does not sound tongue in cheek: I definitely do not intend
it to. I mean it: I love the fact that GlusterFS is doing good and I
find it a pitty that it was not suitable for my ends. Creating new
distributed filesystems is not my favourite pass-time (maybe it
secretly is).

Greetings,

Hraban Luyat