[Gluster-devel] FW: How does gluster identify which brick is the closest

From: Thai. Ngo Bao
Subject: [Gluster-devel] FW: How does gluster identify which brick is the closest
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:06:47 +0700

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Thai. Ngo Bao
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:18 PM
To: address@hidden

Hello all,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the great FS. I have some basic
questions regarding Elastic Hash Algorithm (EHA).

I understand that EHA decides data placement at a host level and then places
complete files on its selected storage. EHA also takes one step further and
optimizes selection based not just on availability, but performance as well.
Thus, if there is a copy of the file that is closer to the user, the closest
copy is used.

So my questions are: How does gluster identify where the closest copy is? How
does gluster identify which brick storing the copy closest to user? Which
bricks are in a same or different subnets? Which value(s) does gluster take to
compare for that purpose? Are they dynamic values, the results of EHA? Also,
please point me out where are the code segments/modules of gluster doing these
jobs.

I appreciate your time, and thank you in advance.

Regards,
Thai Ngo