Re: [Gluster-devel] High Available Transparent File System

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] High Available Transparent File System
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:33:32 +0100

On 10/04/2011 15:27, Meisam Mohammadkhani wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new to GlusterFS. I'm searching around a solution for our enterprise
application that is responsible to save(and manipulate) historical data
of industrial devices. Now, we have two stations that works like hot
redundant of each other. Our challenge is in case of failure. For now,
our application is responsible to handling fault by synchronizing the
files that changed during the fault, by itself. Our application is
running on two totally independent machines (one as redundant) and so
each one has its own disk.
We are searching around a solution like a "high available transparent
file system" that makes the fault transparent to the application, so in
case of fault, redundant machine still can access the files even the
master machine is down (replica issue or such a thing).
Is there fail-over feature in GlusterFS that satisfy our requirement?
Actually, my question is that can GlusterFS help us in our case?

It sounds like you need the AFR/replicate functionality. So yes, GlusterFS may fit your requirements, depending on what degree of split-brain prevention guarantees you require.

Gordan