[Gluster-devel] Can self-healing be based on lookup and readdir request

From: Xavier Hernandez
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Can self-healing be based on lookup and readdir requests ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:27:07 +0100

Hello again,

I'm trying to implement self-healing functionality in my translator. I've been browsing source code (basically mount/fuse and cluster/afr translators) and I see that fuse seems to always make a lookup call each time it sees a file or directory, at least the first time. If that's true in all cases, I'm thinking in putting almost all self-healing logic into the lookup callback, and use readdir to detect directory discrepancies. The only thing that I may miss are extended attributes, that I will only detect if they are corrupted when a getxattr referencing them will be called.

Browsing cluster/afr source I see that self-healing logic is distributed among different functions. Specially I see some checks in open fop. Why these checks can't be done in the lookup fop ? is there any advantage doing it this way ? is there a combination that can't be checked in the lookup previous to the open ?

It would be nice if there were some special dictionary key to retrieve all extended attributes. This way would be easier to detect and regenerate earlier the extended attributes (from lookup).

Thank you very much,

Xavi