Re: [Gluster-devel] replicate background threads

From: Pranith Kumar K
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] replicate background threads
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:33:20 +0530

On 03/13/2012 07:52 PM, Ian Latter wrote:
Hello,

   Well we've been privy to our first true error in
Gluster now, and we're not sure of the cause.

   The SaturnI machine with 1Gbyte of RAM was
exhausting its memory and crashing and we saw
core dumps on SaturnM and MMC.  Replacing
the SaturnI hardware with identical hardware to
SaturnM, but retaining SaturnI's original disks,
(so fixing the memory capacity problem) we saw
crashes randomly at all nodes.

   Looking for irregularities at the file system
we noticed that (we'd estimate) about 60% of
the files at the OS/EXT3 layer of SaturnI
(sourced via replicate from SaturnM) were of
size 2147483648 (2^31) where they should
have been substantially larger.  While we would
happily accept "you shouldn't be using a 32bit
gluster package" as the answer, we note two
deltas;
   1) All files used in testing were copied on from
        32 bit clients to 32 bit servers, with no
        observable errors
   2) Of the file that were replicated, not all were
        corrupted (capped at 2G -- note that we
        confirmed that this was the first 2G of the
        source file contents).

So is there a known replicate issue with files
greater than 2GB?  Has anyone done any
serious testing with significant numbers of files
of this size?  Are there configurations specific
to files/structures of these dimensions?

We noted that reversing the configuration, such
that SaturnI provides the replicate Brick amongst
a local distribute and a remote map to SaturnM
where SaturnM simply serves a local distribute;
that the data served to MMC is accurate (it
continues to show 15GB files, even where there
is a local 2GB copy).  Further, a client "cp" at
MMC, of a file with a 2GB local replicate of a
15GB file, will result in a 15GB file being
created and replicated via Gluster (i.e. the
correct specification at both server nodes).

So my other question is; Is it possible that we've
managed to corrupt something in this
environment?  I.e. during the initial memory
exhaustion events?  And is there a robust way
to have the replicate files revalidated by gluster
as a stat doesn't seem to be correcting files in
this state (i.e. replicate on SaturnM results in
daemon crashes, replicate on SaturnI results
in files being left in the bad state).

Also, I'm not a member of the users list; if these
questions are better posed there then let me
know and I'll re-post them there.

Thanks,