Re: [Gluster-devel] Build for NetBSD and FreeBSD

From: Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Build for NetBSD and FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:58:37 -0400

On 04/12/2012 01:06 PM, Franz Schober wrote:
Hi,

i am interessted in building Gluster for NetBSD and especially for FreeBSD.

On NetBSD I got a working binary package for 3.2.5, compiling the source
package 3.2.5 ist not working, I don't see the NetBSD ifdefs in
the code (e.g. libglusterfs/src/compat.h:#ifdef __NetBSD__).
I read work on 3.3 for NetBSD is in progress, so I didn't continue here.

So to compile the gluster code for NetBSD, at first starting with 3.2.x,
which version should I choose ? (a special git branch/tag ?)

For FreeBSD, I started withe 3.3Beta2 and managed to get the source
building without any FUSE parts, gluster cli crashed on every second
command and glusterd on peer probe => I stopped here.

On git head I managed to build too, but a seg fault on starting the
glusterd was the result, no further investigations till now.

But at first I would like to build a working 3.2.x on NetBSD and
after that step continuing on FreeBSD to get a working 3.2.x build,
continuing with the head afterwards ...

Emmanuel Dreyfus did a lot of work to get 3.2 running on NetBSD. AFAIK most of his changes were accepted. You might have better luck building from the 3.2.6 or 3.2.7qa1 sources.

As for 3.3, 3.3beta2 is very, very old, and probably not many of Emmanuel's patches were in that. You should try with 3.3.0qa34 or 3.3beta3 which will be available in the next day or so.

—

Kaleb