Re: [Gluster-devel] 3.3 requires extended attribute on /

From: Krishnan Parthasarathi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] 3.3 requires extended attribute on /
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 02:36:44 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emmanuel Dreyfus" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:26:53 AM

Emmanuel Dreyfus <address@hidden> wrote:

> On release-3.3, glusterd_is_path_in_use() in
> xlators/mgmt/glusterd/src/glusterd-utils.c seems to assume that / has
> extended attribute enabled, and makes it impossible to create a volume
> with bricks from other filesystems (with EA enabled), if / does not
> support extended attributes.

> And even with EA enabled on root, creating a volume loops forever on
> reading unexistant trusted.gfid and trusted.glusterfs.volume-id on
> brick's parent directory. It gets ENODATA and retry forever. If I patch
> the function to just set in_use = 0 and return 0, I can create a volume.

It is strange that the you see glusterd_path_in_use() loop forever.
If I am not wrong, the inner loop checks for presence of trusted.gfid and
trusted.glusterfs.volume-id
and should exit after that, and the outer loop performs dirname on the path
repeatedly and dirname(3)
guarantees such an operation should return "/" eventually, which we check.
It would be great if you could provide values of local variables, "used" and
"curdir" when you see
the looping forever. I dont have a setup to check this immediately.

thanks,
krish

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus