[Gluster-devel] Can't use NFS with VMware ESXi

From: Fernando Frediani (Qube)
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Can't use NFS with VMware ESXi
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 09:44:10 +0000

Hi,

I’ve setup a Gluster environment using CentOS 6.2 and GlusterFS 3.3 beta4 and the new type of volume striped + replicated. My go is to use it to run Virtual Machines (.vmdk files).

Volume is created fine and the ESXi server mountw the Datastore using Gluster  built-in NFS, however  when trying to use the Datastore or even read, it hangs.

Looking at the Gluster NFS logs I see:    “[socket.c:195:__socket_rwv] 0-socket.nfs-server: readv failed (Connection reset by peer)”

In order to get the rpm files installed I had first to install these two because of the some libraries: “compat-readline5-5.2-17.1.el6.x86_64”.rpm and “openssl098e-0.9.8e-17.el6.centos.x86_64.rpm”.Not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Has anyone ever used Gluster as a backend storage for ESXi ? Does it actually work ?

Regards,

Fernando Frediani
Lead Systems Engineer

Qube Managed Services Limited
260-266 Goswell Road, London, EC1V 7EB, United Kingdom

sales: +44 (0) 20 7150 3800
ddi:     +44 (0) 20 7150 3803
fax:     +44 (0) 20 7336 8420

web:   http://www.qubenet.net/