[Gluster-devel] A very special announcement from Gluster.org

From: John Mark Walker
Subject: [Gluster-devel] A very special announcement from Gluster.org
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 12:33:20 -0400 (EDT)

Today, we’re announcing the next generation of GlusterFS, version 3.3. The release has been a year in the making and marks several firsts: the first post-acquisition release under Red Hat, our first major act as an openly-governed projectand our first foray beyond NAS. We’ve also taken our first steps towards merging big data and unstructured data storage, giving users and developers new ways of managing their data scalability challenges.

GlusterFS is an open source, fully distributed storage solution for the world’s ever-increasing volume of unstructured data. It is a software-only, highly available, scale-out, centrally managed storage pool that can be backed by POSIX filesystems that support extended attributes, such as Ext3/4, XFS, BTRFS and many more.

This release provides many of the most commonly requested features including proactive self-healing, quorum enforcement, and granular locking for self-healing, as well as many additional bug fixes and enhancements.

Some of the more noteworthy features include:

Visit http://www.gluster.org to download. Packages are available for most distributions, including Fedora, Debian, RHEL, Ubuntu and CentOS.

Get involved! Join us on #gluster on freenode, join our mailing list, ‘like’ our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter, or check out our LinkedIn group.

GlusterFS is an open source project sponsored by Red Hat®, who uses it in its line of Red Hat Storage products.

(this post published at http://www.gluster.org/2012/05/introducing-glusterfs-3-3/ )