[Gluster-devel] Introducing #gluster-dev

From: John Mark Walker
Subject: [Gluster-devel] Introducing #gluster-dev
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:52:45 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings, Grasscutters:

There are signs of growth all around us. One of which is that we are beginning
to outgrow some of our infrastructure services, including our gluster.org web
host, documentation wiki, and even our IRC channel. The first two require
longer-term solutions and will be fleshed out in more detail at the appropriate
time; this email is about the latter.

These are good problems to have - it means that the footprint of the Gluster
community continues to grow, but we will have some growing pains as we
transition to services that can readily deal with the onslaught of new users
and developers. In this case, as we have a growing number of public IRC
discussions about development on and with GlusterFS, we need a separate place
for those discussions, much like we have separate mailing lists for those
discussions. With that, we have created #gluster-dev on freenode as the
developers' channel on IRC. This is where you'll discuss contributing code,
working with translators/extensions and integrating GlusterFS with other
technologies, ie. QEMU, OpenStack Swift, CloudStack, Hadoop, et al.

You'll find a veritable bevy engineers and interested parties there, although
it will take some time for it to ramp up in activity.

Thanks for reading this PSA.

Kindly,
JM