Re: [Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hoo

From: Deepak C Shetty
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hooks)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:42:54 +0530

On 08/24/2012 11:56 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:
Hi list,

The following wiki page provides detailed information on "Volume life cycle
extensions"
or more fondly referred to as Hooks. Hooks are scripts/executables that would
be run on the trigger of events like volume-start, volume-stop, etc. This
allows admin
to customise her volume 'deployment' work-flow. Of course it is not arbitrarily
expressive/powerful
yet.

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Hooks

This (conceptually) is similar to hooks provided by oVirt/VDSM. I have a naive Q tho' How to enable/disable a hook for a particular volume ? Is it that if i don't set any key=value for a particular volume, the hook won't come into action. In other words hooks will use key=value to determine what they need to do ?

Hope to hear comments on how we should take this feature forward. I am thinking
we
should someday have a community repository of custom workflows built around
Hooks
that we can recommend each other.

Could you provide some real world examples where using hook in gluster env would help ?