Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposed change in Gerrit workflow

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Proposed change in Gerrit workflow
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:56:12 -0400

On 09/25/2012 06:43 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> We intend to bring the following change in our gerrit based workflow:
>
> - Introduce +2 and -2 for Verified in Gerrit
> - +2 for Verified to be necessary for merging a patch
>
> The intent of this proposed change is to get additional test coverage
> and reduce the number of regressions that can sneak by. Jenkins would
> continue to provide +1s for all submitted changes that pass basic smoke
> tests. An additional +2 would be necessary from somebody who tests the
> patch. Providing a +2 for Verified would be semantically similar to
> adding a Tested-by: tag.

I like the idea generally, but I think it would be good to have a bit more
clarity about what testing +2 requires.  Is self-testing OK, or must it be
someone else?  Are manual tests OK, or must it be a (possibly new) part of the
standard functional/regression tests?  If manual tests are OK, what level of
explanation is required w.r.t. what tests were run on what configuration?  I
don't think we need to set the bar especially high right now, but IMO it does
need to be spelled out in our development-process doc.