Re: [Gluster-devel] Build system cleanups (v2)

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Build system cleanups (v2)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:35:43 -0400

On 09/25/2012 12:40 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> This patchset of 15 obsoletes the earlier set of 6
> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2012-09/msg00066.html )
>
> ----
>
> The following changes since commit 373b25827f0250d11461fbe76dd6a0e295069171:
>
>   core: enable process to return the appropriate error code (2012-09-21
> 20:43:05 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>   git://git.inai.de/glusterfs master
>
> for you to fetch changes up to b4b0bb38a01037df70e629a6ba8c195205ca9c27:
>
>   build: make use of system libuuid (2012-09-25 17:54:27 +0200)

> Jan Engelhardt (15):
>       build: add missing GF_CFLAGS in api/src/
>       build: add missing backslash in api/src/
>       build: more efficient clean
>       init.d: use proper dependencies in SUSE init script
>       init.d: implement reload action for SUSE init script
>       build: consolidate common compilation flags into one variable
>       build: replace INCLUDES by CPPFLAGS
>       build: fix a typo in the python xlator Makefile
>       build: remove two no-op lines from rdma Makefile
>       build: remove -nostartfiles flag
>       build: remove useless explicit -fPIC -shared from CFLAGS
>       build: move -L arguments out of CFLAGS
>       build: split CPPFLAGS from CFLAGS
>       build: libraries must be in LDADD/LIBADD
>       build: make use of system libuuid

With a great deal of manual adjustment and rebasing, eleven of these fifteen
patches have been merged.  The exceptions are:

(3) more efficient clean:
The proposed Solaris-derived "find" syntax is even less portable than what it
replaces, notably w.r.t. to the platforms we actually support.

(8) typo in python xlator
The Python binding has been non-functional and deprecated for a while, and
instead of trying to fix it we should just remove it (possibly to be replaced
some day by glupy).

(9) no-op lines in rdma
This removes lines that are clearly intended as continuations of the previous
one, which is simply incorrect.

(15) Use system libuuid.
I'm pretty sure we had a specific exception to the bundling rule for this, but
I don't remember the reason; maybe someone else on the list does.  In any case,
Fedora has already accepted it and they're the authority on the matter.