[Gluster-devel] glusterd crashes when synctask is used in conjunction wi

From: Krishnan Parthasarathi
Subject: [Gluster-devel] glusterd crashes when synctask is used in conjunction with inner functions.
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 07:02:34 -0400 (EDT)

All,

<context>

I have been rewriting some of the volume operations (like volume-start,
volume-add-brick, volume-remove-brick) using synctask library (aka syncops).
This change has the following immediate benefits,

- volume-start would return success/failure depending on the success/failure of
  brick process(es) spawned.
- would make glusterd's epoll thread 'more' available.

</context>

While I was making the changes in http://review.gluster.com/3969, I noticed that
whenever the code executing on a synctask called into dict_foreach, which was
supplied
a function ptr, defined as an inner function, glusterd crashed. When I rewrote
inner function as a static function, glusterd wouldn't crash.

Has anyone seen or can explain (or give possible leads to analyse) this
behaviour?
FWIW, inner functions are only available as part of GNU extensions to C. So, I
assumed it is not such a bad thing to move the inner functions 'out', in my
patch.

thanks,
krish