Re: [Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hoo

From: Krishnan Parthasarathi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hooks)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 07:25:13 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----

How is this a security issue? Are you assuming the admin has not protected
/var/lib/glusterd directory from the access of (malicious/trigger-happy)
non-root users? In that case her/his storage node is already compromised.

> Won't it be better to have volume itself control whether or not hooks
> are enabled for itself ? A volume set ... option maybe ?
> Volume creation, set and other stuff are done by Storage admin, so
> its
> more trustworthy to control things from there, I feel.

It would be good to have a volume option which decides whether or not
to run hook scripts for events of the volume. For create event we may
need to rely on a global option (viz applicable for all volumes) to
decide whether or not we run hook scripts on the volume that is being
created.
To clarify, the above mechanism doesn't make things more trustworthy.
It only gives storage admins more control on which volumes' events
trigger hook scripts.

> It would also help if we need to disable the hook for a volume for a
> small period of time, and enable it again, otherwise in the current
> method hook would always run.

Hook scripts run only once when an event occurs for any volume. Of course,
this can be controlled from the script side as well. The script could
store (persistently), a list of volumes it wants to be applicable to.

> In VDSM hooks, its controllable on a per VM basis by using a custom
> arg/param... hence user knows what he/she is doing when using hooks.

Would you like to submit a patch that would allow user to control
the running of hooks on a volume? All of hooks related code is
present in glusterd-hooks.[ch].

cheers,
krish