Re: [Gluster-devel] Memory deallocation question about iov_dup

From: Xavier Hernandez
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Memory deallocation question about iov_dup
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:36:13 +0100

Hello Gustavo,

first of all you don't need to call iov_dup() unless you modify it before WIND() or you need it at the callback. If you need to make some changes to the vector list, then you mush call iov_dup(), make the changes, call one or more WINDs() (if needed) and free it with GF_FREE(). If you use the vector list in the callback, you must not free it until the callback. In all other cases, you can pass the same pointer you received to the next translator through a WIND() without allocating a new one.

On the other hand, I'm not sure this is the real cause of the memory leak. iov_dup() only duplicates the array of pointers, but not the buffers themselves. If you are also copying the buffers, then you must also free them. The best way is calling iov_free(), which releases both buffers and the array of pointers.

Regards,

Xavi

Al 30/10/12 11:16, En/na Gustavo Bervian Brand ha escrit:
Hello,

  I am facing a big memory leak and I believe the responsible parts are the iov_dups I am doing while reading a file to write it somewhere else, because the system's memory is running out according to the file size I am dealing with.
  Before calling a WIND that needs the vector as param I do a iov_dup() to a local pointer and this goes as the WIND parameter.

  To correctly deallocate this, the best thing is a GF_FREE after the WIND or saving the pointer to local and deallocate it at the callback? Or any other approach, like only before the UNWIND after the sequence of WINDs(where I am deallocating the local, for example)?

Thanks,
Gustavo Brand