Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side translators doubt

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Client side translators doubt
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:06:56 -0500

On 01/16/2013 12:41 PM, Gustavo Bervian Brand wrote:
>   Finally, let's get back to my original configuration with both
> subvolumes as "protocol/client" types: it works ok until I try something
> unusual, which is pointing at the server side of both nodes their
> "posix" type subvolumes to the same shared path. This path is a mount
> point shared by both nodes through a lustre FS. In this case, both posix
> subvolumes, at the backend, are writing to the same place. Should I
> expect this to work without problems or changes at the posix translator
> would be necessary?

Bricks *must* use separate storage.  Even if there's a reason to create
bricks on top of shared storage (and you've accurately guessed my
reaction to that) they should be in separate subdirectories.  Otherwise
they will definitely step on each other's "private" information in
.glusterfs, and the level of change that would be necessary to make them
work a different way is considerable.