Re: [Gluster-devel] Bricks as first-class objects

From: Jeff Darcy
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Bricks as first-class objects
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:49:22 -0500

On 01/22/2013 01:07 PM, Jay Vyas wrote:
2 - I assume you would rather discourage people from custom coding the brick
logic - since its the volume level of abstraction that you want people normally
to work from - right... ?

I don't know if we should discourage them. Random placement serves well in a great many cases, but the issue of heterogeneous storage and placing particular files onto particular bricks comes up all the time. What we should do is give users the maximum flexibility to express their preferred policy, but then make the application of that policy as automagical as we can.

3 - Are there optimizations that happen in the way the gluster fuse mounts
work, wherein volumes sort of assume that the bricks aren't moving around
beneath them.?

To the extent that there are, we already need to deal with them (and do) when we add, remove, or replace bricks. None of these operations fundamentally change; only the way they're expressed might.