Re: [Gluster-devel] Snapshot backend (was Re: EAGAIN/EBUSY handling in g

From: Amar Tumballi
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Snapshot backend (was Re: EAGAIN/EBUSY handling in glusterfs)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:46:27 +0530

On 01/24/2013 12:03 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

On 01/23/2013 01:34 AM, Shishir Gowda wrote:
One of the possible scenarios is someone taking a lvm snap of the
backend.
As an aside, lvm snapshots are good for one-off temporary saves, but are
completely useless as an interval snapshot. Each one takes up a ton of
ram and increase boot-up times very significantly. I would recommend
focusing on btrfs for any snapshotting backend.

One of the idea is to keep the backend options for taking the snapshot configurable, so people can use their choice of snapshots. Our main focus is to get the changes required in gluster{fs,fsd,d} side of things so we have an option to be given for people wanting to use snapshots.

Main focus of first release would be get the co-ordinated cluster snapshot working, so in phase2 we will work on approving it on top of other snapshot options.

Regards,
Amar