Re: [Gluster-devel] What functionality is expected from persistent NFS-c

From: J. Bruce Fields
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] What functionality is expected from persistent NFS-client tracking?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:19:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:20:27AM +0100, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 03:09:38PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> > This is the statd data?  That's the more important thing to get right.
>
> Uhm, no. The locking-file I meant is for CTDB itself (I think). From my
> understanding the statd/NFS-locking is done through the GlusterFS-client
> (the NFS-server is a client, just like a FUSE-mount). For all I know the
> statd/NFS-locking is working as it should.

Oh, OK.  Looking at the code in xlators/nfs/server/src/nlm4.c....  Looks
like it's probably just using the same statd as the kernel server--the
one installed as a part of nfs-utils, which by default puts its state in
/var/lib/nfs/statd/.

So if you want failover to work, then the contents of
/var/lib/nfs/statd/ has to be made available to the server that takes
over somehow.

Anyway, agreed that putting that (and the nfs client list) on some
shared storage makes the most sense.

> > I don't think there should be any problem here: the exported filesystems
> > need to be available before the server starts anyway.  (Otherwise the
> > only response the server could give to operations on filehandles would
> > be ESTALE.)
>
> Well, the NFS-server dynamically gets exports (GlusterFS volumes) added
> when these are started or newly created. There is no hard requirement
> that a specific volume is available for the NFS-server to place a shared
> files with a list of NFS-clients.

I'm not sure what you mean by "there is not hard requirement ...".

Surely it's a requirement that an NFS server have available at startup,
at a minimum:

        - all exported volumes
        - whichever volume contains /var/lib/nfs/statd/, if that's on
          glusterfs.

otherwise reboot recovery won't work.  (And failover definitely won't
work.)

--b.