Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies

From: Theodore Ts'o
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:47:20 -0500

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 05:41:41PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > What if we have an ioctl or a process personality flag where a broken
> > application can tell the file system "I'm broken, please give me a
> > degraded telldir/seekdir cookie"?  That way we don't penalize programs
> > that are doing the right thing, while providing some accomodation for
> > programs who are abusing the telldir cookie.
>
> Yeah, if there's a simple way to do that, maybe it would be worth it.

Doing this as an ioctl which gets called right after opendir, i.e
(ignoring error checking):

      DIR *dir = opendir("/foo/bar/baz");
      ioctl(dirfd(dir), EXT4_IOC_DEGRADED_READDIR, 1);

should be quite easy.  It would be a very ext3/4 specific thing,
though.

It would be more work to get something in as a process personality
flag, mostly due to the politics of assiging a bit out of the
bitfield.

                                                - Ted