Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies

From: J. Bruce Fields
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:05:11 -0500

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 02:57:13PM -0800, Anand Avati wrote:

> > > Yeah, if there's a simple way to do that, maybe it would be worth it.
> >
> > Doing this as an ioctl which gets called right after opendir, i.e
> > (ignoring error checking):
> >
> >       DIR *dir = opendir("/foo/bar/baz");
> >       ioctl(dirfd(dir), EXT4_IOC_DEGRADED_READDIR, 1);
> >
> > should be quite easy.  It would be a very ext3/4 specific thing,
> > though.
>

> That would work, even though it would be ext3/4 specific. What is the
> recommended programmatic way to detect if the file is on ext3/4 -- we would
> not want to attempt that blindly on a non-ext3/4 FS as the numerical value
> of EXT4_IOC_DEGRADED_READDIR might get interpreted in dangerous ways?

We must have been through this before, but: is the only way to generate
a collision-free readdir cookie really to use a larger hash?

Would it be possible to make something work like, for example, a 31-bit
hash plus an offset into a hash bucket?

I have trouble thinking about this, partly because I can't remember
where to find the requirements for readdir on concurrently modified
directories....

--b.