Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies

From: Dave Chinner
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] regressions due to 64-bit ext4 directory cookies
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:45:36 +1100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:59:17AM +0000, Myklebust, Trond wrote:
> [...]

That's exactly what XFS directory cookies are - a direct encoding of
the dirent offset into the directory file. Which means a overflow
would occur at 16GB of directory data for XFS. That is in the realm
of several hundreds of millions of files in a single directory,
which I have seen done before....

> > So I'm wondering how you ran across it.
> >
> > Partly just pure curiosity.
>
> IIRC, XFS on IRIX used 0xFFFFF as the readdir eof marker, which caused us to
> generate an EIO...

And this discussion explains the magic 0x7fffffff offset mask in the
linux XFS readdir code. I've been trying to find out for years
exactly why that was necessary, and now I know.

I probably should write a patch that makes it a "non-magic" number
and remove it completely for 64 bit platforms before I forget again...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner