Re: [Gluster-devel] Eager-lock and nfs graph generation

From: Anand Avati
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Eager-lock and nfs graph generation
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:56:13 -0800

Thinking over this, looks like there is a problem!

Write-behind guarantees: That a second write request arriving after the acknowledgement of a first overlapping request (whether written-behind or otherwise) will be guaranteed to be fulfilled in the backend in the same order (i.e, the second overlapping request will be "serialized" behind the first one in the fulfillment process)

Eager-lock requirement: That write-behind will send no two write requests on an overlapping region at the same time.

The requirement-set and guarantee-set have a big overlap, but the requirement-set is not a subset.

This is because of O_SYNC writes. write-behind performs write-serialization at fulfillment only for written behind requests (which get covered under the conflict detection code during liability fulfillment). However, if two threads (or apps) issue overlapping O_SYNC writes to the same region at approx same time, then write-behind will let both of them go by without any kind of serialization, into eager lock, violating the assumptions!

I'm wondering if it is a safer idea to implement overlap checks within eager-lock code itself rather than depend on write-behind :|

Avati