Re: [Gluster-devel] Fwd: Port GlusterFS as a GSoC 2013 project

From: Outback Dingo
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Fwd: Port GlusterFS as a GSoC 2013 project
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:32:39 -0400

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/26/2013 08:33 AM, John Mark Walker wrote:
I would personally very much like to see this.

The people who might be able to assist you are Emmanual Dreyfus, CC'd, the NetBSD maintainer, and Kaleb, who has lots of free time on his hands ;)

I jest - I know Kaleb is pretty busy. Hopefully he can spare a few cycles for mentorship.

I'd like to see it done as well. I say go for it. I'd wager that doing this will go a long way to making it work on Mac OS X again too.

FWIW, I have looked at this from time to time. It seems that a fusefs-kmod pkg for 9.1-release finally materialized a couple weeks ago. That has been the major impediment to a port to 9.1 anyway, although a port to earlier FreeBSD releases maybe have been possible before now.

Attached is a short patch against master/HEAD that I spent a couple hours creating this morning. It should get you off to a good start. I left contrib/fuse-util as an exercise. ;-) With my patch, everything configured out of the box¹ compiles, except for contrib/fuse-util, which I have left as an exercise.

As far as what remains to be done then, my list would be:
1. port contrib/fuse-util.
2. of the pieces that don't currently auto-configure, explore whether any of them can or should
3. evaluate whether the changes in my patch are actually correct.
4. write /etc/rc.d/ script
4. package it all
5. submit changes in gerrit and get them through review.
6. put a package or set of packages up for download/distribution on ftp.freebsd.org

Regards

--

Kaleb

¹ Here's what I get by default when I run configure:
  GlusterFS configure summary
  ===========================
  FUSE client          : no
  Infiniband verbs     : no
  epoll IO multiplex   : no
  argp-standalone      : yes
  fusermount           : yes
  readline             : yes
  georeplication       : no
  Linux-AIO            : no
  Enable Debug         : no
  systemtap            : yes
  Block Device backend : no

Here's the list of packages I had to install in order to build:
  autoconf-2.69
  autoconf-wrapper-20101119
  automake-1.12.4
  automake-wrapper-20101119
  bison-2.5.1,1
  ca_root_nss-3.14
  curl-7.24.0_1
  cvsps-2.1_1
  expat-2.0.1_2
  flex-2.5.37
  fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_11
  gettext-0.18.1.1
  git-1.8.0
  libiconv-1.14
  libtool-2.4.2
  libxml2-2.7.8_5
  m4-1.4.16_1,1
  p5-Error-0.17018
  p5-Net-SMTP-SSL-1.01_1
  perl-5.14.2_2
  pkgconf-0.8.9
  python27-2.7.3_3

curious as to what version of glusterfs you built with this patch on 10-CURRENT because it doesnt build on my system