Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster CLI for setting options for glusterd.vol

From: Justin Clift
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster CLI for setting options for glusterd.vol
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:58:22 +0100

On 20/06/2013, at 4:59 PM, M. Mohan Kumar wrote:
<snip>
>> Does it help that you can add your own scripting or binaries to
>> /usr/lib64/glusterfs/3git/filter/ to create/modify/delete options
>> in generated .vol files automatically? (you might need to create that
>> directory first)
>>
>> With a script, you could definitely read in values from an external source
>> such as a filesystem location, remote database, etc, then apply them.
>
> But we wanted to provide CLI option to modify the glusterd config, so
> vdsm can invoke this command to enable unprivileged port access. Also I
> am not clear about the filter xlator, could filter approach solve our
> issue?

Well, the "filter" approach is a way to automatically adjust the .vol
files generated by Gluster, before they'd actually put to use.

Some info here:

  http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Glusterfs-filter

The way I've been using it recently is to manually add a completely new
custom translator into the .vol files.  Each time the .vol files get
generated, and before they "take effect", my filter script is called which
then adds my custom translator into the .vol file.  This lets me do funky
things with the volumes. :)

*If* (and you might know this, but I don't :>) the unprivileged port
option is something which is set into the Gluster .vol files (via CLI),
this might work for you.  It would obviously be a hack/workaround until
a proper way comes along though.  Vijay looks to be addressing that. :)

+ Justin

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat

twitter.com/realjustinclift