Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC - "Connection Groups" concept

From: Stephan von Krawczynski
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] RFC - "Connection Groups" concept
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:28:53 +0200

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:46:35 +0100
Justin Clift <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> This is an idea that's been on my mind for a while, to overcome a
> fundamental problem Gluster has with some network common topologies.
> (thanks to Niels de Vos for letting me bounce ideas off him btw)
>
> Most corp places I've worked have multiple network interfaces on their
> storage boxes, each for a specific purpose (eg backup interface, client
> interface, general connectivity interface, and more).
>
> At present Gluster can't really make use of this kind of topology
> effectively.  Having some interfaces only for client traffic, other
> interfaces for peer replication traffic just isn't how it's designed.
>
> To address this, we could introduce "connection groups".
> [...]
> Thoughts? :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Dear Justin,

it was pretty easy to use such an infrastructure in times of glusterfs 2.X
where an admin had true control over the ongoing with a _config file_. Since
the whole 3.X mess started really nothing was improved besides the automatic
self-heal. The network part has become unusable in terms of controlling what
is really going on and where.

Stephan